There are a lot of over-the-top skincare trends right now: too many masks, excessive use of acids, the insane amount of products in a single #shelfie. But the trend that feels the most ridiculous? Packing an entire suitcase of skincare for travel.
I'm serious. So many influencers do it, citing that they can't live without their line up of 30+ products for a few days. I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound fun to me! I like everything to be simple and easy on vacation–yes, even skincare.
Since I'm headed away for the weekend, I thought this would be the perfect time to show you how to pack a simple, effective skincare routine into your carry-on.
WHAT DO YOU ACTUALLY NEED?
First thing's first: Ask yourself what you actually need. Will you die without masking for a few days? Do you really need to layer three different nighttime products? Is this the time to test out a 10-step K-Beauty routine? (And it's fine if the answer is yes!)
For me, this list looks like:
- Makeup remover (coconut oil)
- Cleanser (Manuka honey)
- Toner (ILLUUMinated Moon Water Magic Tea Tree Oil Face Mist)
- Face Oil (Sage & Violet Morning Ritual Skin Soothing Oil)
- Sunscreen (Flower & Bone Supply Sun Goddess Whipped Facial Butter)
BRING ON THE MULTITASKERS
Multitasking products are essential for travel.
- Instead of packing a cleanser, face mask, and spot treatment, I just pack Manuka honey since it can do all three of those things.
- Instead of packing makeup remover, and oil cleanser, and a body lotion, I pack coconut oil since it does all three. (Jojoba oil or sweet almond oil would work here as well.)
- Instead of packing multiple face oils, I pack the most gentle one I have (this Sage & Violet Morning Ritual Skin Soothing Oil), along with a small bottle of frankincense essential oil. I can mix one drop of frankincense into the face oil at night to amp-up its brightening and resurfacing effects.
WHERE DO YOU HAVE ROOM FOR EXTRAS?
If you have space to spare, throw in the extras that aren't necessary, but are still nice to have. For me, this looks like:
- Overnight eye cream (one I made myself)
- Dried herbs to mix into the Manuka honey as a mask (I packed chamomile and lavender)
- Rose Water Face Mist (which is a little more soothing than the Tea Tree Oil version)
WHAT TO PACK IN YOUR CARRY-ON
Like a lot of people, my skin dries up the second I step into the airport. While I'm flying, I don't wear makeup and instead focus on locking in moisture. I'll spritz my skin with my Rose Water Face Mist periodically, add more Skin Soothing Oil as necessary, and then–this is my favorite travel hack–pop open a Vitamin E capsule and smooth it all over my skin. By the time the flight's over, the Vitamin E oil is completely soaked in and I'm the glowiest girl on the plane.
The best part about this hack is that Vitamin E capsules are sooo tiny! I throw a handful into a Ziploc, toss them in my bag, and go.
My final product count?
And I'm not missing out on anything!
What do you pack when you travel?