Rise and Align: A Morning Ritual for the New Moon
What comes to mind when you hear the words “moon ritual?” Probably images of crystals and candles, maybe some burning sage, and, of course, brilliant moonlight cutting through the darkness. But this moon is a little different.
The new moon rises at 6am on Tuesday, May 15th–no darkness, no moonlight, no weird, witchy vibes. And since there’s no time like the new moon for new beginnings and fresh starts, I’m proposing a morning moon ritual. If you’re the type that hits snooze until the last possible second, skips breakfast, or spends the first 15 minutes of your morning scrolling through Insta in bed, now's your chance to make a change.
My personal morning ritual–when I actually take the time to do it–is long and involved but so worth it. It sets the tone for my entire day, and lets me move into the world with a clear mind, a strong body, and a nourished soul. Oh, and glowing skin. Can’t forget that one!
With this new moon is in Taurus, the ultimate Earth sign, the energy is ripe for creating a grounding, energizing routine that you can come back to again and again. As always, you can feel into what’s right for you and design your own morning ritual–but here’s a good place to start.
Rise and Align: A New Moon Morning Ritual
- Wake up with the new moon. Switch off your phone’s alarm and then leave it alone. Don’t sneak a peek for at least 15 minutes–allow yourself to experience the first moments of your day free from the pressures of email and Insta.
- Take three deep, cleansing breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth.
- Make your way out of bed, and light a candle. As you light it, set your intention for the day.
- Now, mix-and-match these morning practices in an order that makes sense for you.
- Use your skintuition–what does your skin need today? Oftentimes, skin doesn’t actually need a heavy-duty cleanser that strips away oils and dirt in the AM (you’ve just spent the last 8 hours sleeping, after all). Maybe a few splashes of cool water will do. Maybe you want your skin to feel extra-clean with Osmia Organics Black Clay Soap. Maybe you want to do a full mask-and-cleanse session with a DIY French Clay Mask. Whatever you choose, move through your skincare lineup mindfully and with intention; see each step as an act of self-care. Including a jade roller in your routine can amplify the ritual effect.
- Pour yourself a cup of hot water and squeeze in half a lemon. Sip on this to clean out your system, aid in digestion, and detox your skin.
- Make yourself a healthy breakfast–I’m partial to this skin-clearing smoothie.
- Don’t forget to take your vitamins and supplements!
- Prepare this better-than-coffee wellness tonic to enjoy later or on the go.
- Move through a few rounds of Sun Salutation A to get your body ready for the day.
- In place of Savasana, move into meditation. I like to use these YouTube tracks as background music for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, and 15 minutes, or repeat this mantra.
- When your mind is clear post-meditation, spend some time journaling or writing out your to-do list for the day. I love using Danielle LaPorte’s Desire Map Daily Planner.
Edit, add, release, and finesse in any way that makes this ritual work for you. Repeat every morning.
Happy New Moon!