A Rose Petal Mask That Will Make You Feel Like An Egyptian Queen
Natural products are soaking up their 15 minutes of skincare fame right now, but they’re really nothing new. Ancient Greek, Roman, African, and Indian women were the OG creators of that $25 honey mask you tried last night, and the way-too-expensive bottle of rose water you’re pretending to like the taste of–and they came up with these recipes for natural beauty centuries ago. (Wait, does this count as cultural appropriation? Asking for a friend.)
I think that’s why slathering this rose-petal-and-honey mask from Marine Flora on my face made me feel like such a goddamn QUEEN. The earthy texture of crushed herbs, chia seeds, and raw honey–not to mention the sweet scent of the fruit extracts and rose oil–feels equal parts luxurious and granola; like something the old town apothecary labored over on commission from the royal family. Is this how Gwyneth Paltrow feels all the time? I think so.
Goop-esque experience aside, there are plenty more reasons I repeatedly reach for Live Botanical’s Luna Rose + Honey Glowing Cleansing Mask when my skin needs a pick-me-up.
- It contains papaya fruit enzymes to naturally exfoliate the skin. Much like acids, certain fruit enzymes actually break down the bonds between the dead skin cells sitting on the surface and the fresh, glowing skin waiting below. They can be powerful, though, so if you have sensitive skin I recommend wearing this mask for just 15 minutes instead of the full 30.
- It’s super hydrating, thanks to infusions of rose oil and honey. It’s rare to find a good exfoliator that doesn’t leave your skin parched, but this mask does it all.
- You can use it as a cleanser, too–just massage into wet skin for about 30 seconds and rinse off, which is perfect for those mornings when your skin is looking a little dull but you don’t have the time/patience for a full masking session.
- It’ll give you the glow-up. I noticed fresher, glowier skin after a single use.
- It’s GOOD for your skin. No chemicals, no synthetics, no preservatives, no harsh ingredients. This product is so natural you can even eat it (kind of). I definitely licked my fingers after applying because it just smelled too good not to. And I have no regrets.
Basically, if you’re looking for an all-in-one exfoliating and hydrating mask that illuminates your skin and can (potentially) be used as jam on your morning toast, this is it.