Hello Beautiful Humans!
Is it just me, or does it seem like EVERYONE in the wellness space is suddenly talking about Human Design? Do you feel like you can’t unroll your yoga mat without overhearing someone talking about being a Projector or a Generator or having Emotional Authority? Are you dying to know that the eff all the fuss is about?
Girl, I got you.
My name is Jaclyn Michelle (Pisces Moon/Pisces Sun/Libra rising). I write the blog Interior Creature, and I’m a MASSIVE Human Design nerd. Over the next few weeks, Jessica and I have teamed up to give you a crash course in all things Human Design.
What exactly is Human Design and where did it come from?
Let me set the scene: it’s 1987, and Robert Allan Krakower was DONE with living that corporate life, so he walked away from this career and family and headed to Ibiza, Spain in search of himself. Now, when I think Ibiza, I think of beach-side clubs and Leonardo DiCaprio doing shots with Victoria Secret models…but Robert Allan Krakower was not up in da club. He was staying in a remote barebones beachside cottage really doing THE WORK. One night, he was walking down the beach on his way back to said cottage with his dog when he spotted a light coming from his inside. Now, his quaint little cottage didn’t have electricity, so this understandably freaked him out a bit. He cautiously enters the cabin and his dog just goes NUTS. Barking and growling…and then the dog passes out. (The dog was FINE and fully recovers…just in case your stress level was rising). And while the dog is freaking out, Robert Allan Krakower starts feeling this pressure building inside him, what he describes later as an internal explosion. Flash forward to our hero DRENCHED, standing in a pool of his own sweat (yuck), and coming to his senses to the sound of a disembodied male voice telling him it’s time to get to work. It was at that point that Robert Allan Krakower became Ra Uru Hu, and for the next eight days, he channeled the system that became Human Design.
In a nutshell, Human Design is a marriage between ancient observable scientific systems (like astrology, the I’Ching, the Chakras, and Kabbalah’s Tree of Life) and contemporary science (biochemistry, quantum physics/mechanics, genetics, and astronomy).
Most importantly, Human Design is not a religion. It’s not a belief system. It’s a tool. A big experiment, if you will. In fact, if the story above sounded absolutely bonkers to you, that’s totally OK. You can still benefit from the tools and strategies Human Design offers. It’s all about what works for you and what invites the most flow and ease into your life.
How does it all work?
Without getting TOO FAR into the weeds, Human Design takes all the systems and sciences mentioned above and provides you with a chart that maps your unique energetic makeup.
Here’s an analogy: think about the last time you bought a new smart phone. When you first peeled off the plastic wrap, took it out of the box, and turned it on, there were some apps and programs already installed. They're the factory settings, the tools you absolutely need for your smart phone to operate optimally. Now, no one uses their phone like that. We all add apps. We download music. We take SO MANY PICTURES. We livestream and call and text and after a while, our phone has been completely customized. We’ve added a ton of programming what wasn’t there when we first took the phone out of the box. Now, some of these programs are dope and add value to our lives, but some are just draining the phone’s energy, running in the background, taking up precious memory and killing our battery life. So before our phone just craps out and stops working, we go in and start deleting: unflattering pictures, apps we don’t use, text message chains that make us feel bad when we reread them, etc. We strip the phone down to as close to the factory settings as possible, keeping only what adds value to our daily lives.
Human Design helps us do that very thing, but for our energy and our health. It helps us identify ways of working with our energy that invite more flow, grace and ease into our lives, and helps us identify which behaviors we’re engaging in that are actually creating resistance, frustration and overwhelm.
What does a Human Design chart look like? And what are the most important parts of the chart?
If you want to play along and are BRAND NEW to Human Design, head on over to myBodygraph.com to run your chart for free. You’ll need to know your birthdate, time and place. Once they process your info, click where it says “myBodyGraphs” at the top and you’ll see a graphic that looks like this:
Since we all have as many hours in a day as Beyoncé, we’ll use Queen Bey as our example.
The most important info is listed under chart properties:
- Your TYPE: There are five possible energy types in Human Design: a Generator, a Manifestor, a Manifesting Generator, a Projector and a Reflector. Bey is a MANIFESTING GENERATOR.
- Your STRATEGY: Each type has their own unique strategy they should employ in order to make the best possible use of their energy. Some strategies include waiting for an invitation, waiting 28 days to respond, initiating and responding. Bey’s strategy is TO RESPOND.
- Your CENTERS: There are nine energy centers within our body. Some are open and some are closed. Our closed centers provide us with a consistent source of energy, and are colored in on our charts. Beyonce has 4 closed centers. Our open centers are where we take in, absorb and magnify the energy of others, and they are blank on our charts. Beyoncé has 5 open centers. Each center governs a different aspect of how we interact with the world around us. (more on that coming next week!). If you were to scroll down under “Chart Properties,” you’d find a listing of which of your centers are open (undefined) and which are closed (defined).
- Your AUTHORITY: Your authority is the center you should always look to for guidance when making decisions. Bey has Sacral Authority in her chart, which means she needs to check in with her gut and only say YES to things that light her up (again, more on that when we talk about centers next week!).
- Your NOT SELF THEME: This is how you feel when your actions aren’t aligned with your Human Design. Bey’s Not-Self Theme is Frustration, which basically means when she doesn’t wait to respond (her strategy) OR she says YES and commits her energy to something she isn’t super excited about (her authority), she will feel frustration.
Next week, we’ll dive into the nine energy centers and the authorities and the week after, we’ll tackle the five types and their strategies, all with the overarching goal of helping you LIVE👏🏻 YOUR👏🏻 BEST👏🏻 LIFE👏🏻.